Sunday, April 21, 2013

Decades of Shelf Liner

We closed on our house on a Friday in March, and within days, we were already putting our touches on the house and making repairs! We knew going into the house that it would need some love - and that is what we were looking for during our house hunt. 

One of the first projects that I undertook was the kitchen pantry. I loved this pantry from the first time we walked into this house during an open house! It was enormous! However, it had quite a bit of shelf liner in it. And, by the looks of it, the liner had been there for decades. Easily.

With a paint scraper and razor blade in hand, I was able to peel off every last piece of the sticky shelf liner. This is what I was left with. Dark wooden shelves, particle board with water damage on it (Swifter Wet Jet), and walls that had oh-so-lovely aged, pale yellow tint. 


With my Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer in hand, I coated the entire pantry a good two times. I made every attempt to coat all of the surfaces with at least two coats. While this dried, Z helped me put on a new door handle to the pantry. (Originally, we were hesitant about this particular color of the handle, but we saw it at another house and loved the final look! That's a slow process going throughout the house.)


Once the primer had dried, it was time for the paint! I put two coats of Valspar Ultra White to make sure all the walls and shelves were crisp white. I wanted to ensure that they didn't have any tint of yellow, as they had originally.


The final product! The walls and shelves looked so crisp and clean! I purchased white rubber shelf liner (easily removable) to line the shelves. I liked the idea of coating it in that, and giving it a nice, smooth finish - especially where the particle board was rigid from water.

This is one thing checked off on our list! Now, the pantry brightly welcomes food inside of it and on the shelves. On to the next project!

-Z & E

2 comments:

  1. Does the pantry have a built up shelf that is closed off at the bottom? I wonder if its unused space or if it stores something? If it is unused space walk in pantry? XD But more work for you and Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question that I hadn't even thought of addressing when I made this posting! The shelf that is built up is actually space for the overhead into the basement - where the stairs begin. Unfortunately, there is no way to move it that we know of. However, we feel like we have a very generous amount of space in there! I predict in the future, though, us adding some more shelves!

      Delete