Saturday, May 25, 2013

Rear Window

I'll admit. I try to sometimes come up with catchy, or corny, post titles. I suppose it is the teacher in me - trying to convey this idea to my students earlier this year - that you want to be able to "hook" the reader from your title. Now that I have given away that secret, I suppose you're thinking of the 1954 classic, "Rear Window". I must say, that I love that movie. The suspense and story line enthralls me! The 1942 classic, "Casablanca", would also make it onto the list for me. Truthfully, though, this post does have to do with two rear windows!

One of the things that drew me to our house is the kitchen. Nevermind the fact that the granite countertop was not placed cohesively, allowing for a noticeable seam, and that the majority of the tile flooring was cracked. The potential for this space is endless. With an enormous pantry to pair a kitchen with, our minds have been running wild with ideas. More on that later. However, the one thing that we are addressing now are the two large windows that face the backyard in this space.

They are great sources of light, yet with the lack of privacy from it, I tend to feel like we are on the Truman Show. When peering out the windows into the greenery-filled back yard, there have been more than a handful of times when I can see our neighbor doing the same. It was a bit unsettling to hear from this same neighbor that they had noticed us working on the house. Pleased to know that you see us working on the house (after it seemed to have been neglected for some time), but not pleased to be on the Truman Show, or the classic, Rear Window.

Luckily, this problem is being solved! My talented Mom has generously & eagerly offered to sew a set of curtains for us. With some inspiration from Pinterest and her knowledge of sewing, the project is coming together. During her visit this weekend, we measured and selected custom fabric so that she can make cafe curtains for this space. She will also be sewing a window treatment for our door that is exposed on that level. 

I am looking forward to showing you all how they turn out! In the meantime, here is the inspiration for the windows:



This is the fabric we chose. I was drawn to the modern feel of it, yet the neutral colors to match with any color of kitchen.



Here is our rear windows that allow us to become members of the Truman Show:




Stay tuned for the finished project! Hope you all have the chance to relax on this extended weekend. After spending the last two days on house projects, I may find myself curling up with "Rear Window", "Casablanca", or "The Truman Show" tomorrow!

Love, E

No comments:

Post a Comment